The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
Canonfire :: View topic - Demihuman Demographics in the LGG
Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
Demihuman Demographics in the LGG
Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:40 am  
Demihuman Demographics in the LGG

Ever since the LGG came out, some people have expressed issues with the population numbers of the demihumans over and above any general complaints about too few people. While I have a bit of a talent with understanding numbers, I could never fully express why those numbers were so "off". After the topic came up yet again, I sat down and made myself write it out properly.

The core of the problem is that the Folio/Boxed Set primarily presented demihumans (and humanoids) as a percentage of the human population, rather than as a percentage of the overall national population. While several areas had direct numbers given, most were in the form of "few", "some", or "many", representing 5%, 10%, or 20% of the number of humans respectively. Switching to the numbers being part of the overall population affects the final totals and proportions significantly.

Further, no specific indication is ever made of what constitutes "demihumans" or "humanoids", or if that percentage applies to each race individually or all of them collectively. For demihumans this is ultimately limited to 4 - dwarves, elves, gnomes, and halflings, with half-elves and half-orcs likely rolled into humans. For humanoids, kobolds, goblins, orcs, and hobgoblins are listed, but others do exist. Overall, I think the numbers must be for all types unless specificed.

To show this with an example:

In the folio and boxed set, Greyhawk has a population of 75+K in the entire domain, "some" demihumans and "some", humanoids. Without parsing the +, that would result in 7.5K demihumans and 7.5K humanoids within the realm.

The territory and population of Greyhawk definitely increases by the time of the LGG, and the demographic breakdown is radically different (see below). The base population is now 160K. Including half-elves and excluding half-orcs, demihumans are 20% of that total - 32K

But this is not 32K in addition to 160K, but 32K out of 160K. That gives us 128K humans and 32K demihumans.

In folio-boxed set terms, Greyhawk now has more than "many" demihumans, as they are equal to 25% of the human population. If there were the original 10%, there would only be 16K demihumans throughout the domain, along with the 160K humans.

This should extend to the humanoids, and there should be 32K orcs and goblinoids swarming the Cairn Hills, Abbor Alz, Gnarley Forest, Mistmarsh, and Wild Coast portions of Greyhawk.

As for the demographic percentages most nations of the Flanaess have their human population set at 79%. This matches the numbers for a "Mixed" population in the 3E DMG. Some have the 96% of an "Isolated" realm, and a few have the 37% of an "Integrated" nation. Only have a handful have unique percentages. As a result, demihuman populations in general are generally twice what they should be, as well as being in a higher proportion to the human population.
Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:24 pm  

You prefer that the populations of demihumans and humanoids should be smaller?
Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:16 pm  

I prefer the world as humanocentric as written, with demihumans fairly rare and limited to certain fringe areas. I do not think every village, hamlet, and thorp needs its mandatory quota of demihumans, often in stereotyped occupations.

As for humanoids, if they are kept at the same proportions as demihumans, I doubt any human area would remain controlled by humans for very long.
Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:38 pm  

Samwise wrote:
I prefer the world as humanocentric as written, with demihumans fairly rare and limited to certain fringe areas. I do not think every village, hamlet, and thorp needs its mandatory quota of demihumans, often in stereotyped occupations.

As for humanoids, if they are kept at the same proportions as demihumans, I doubt any human area would remain controlled by humans for very long.

I'll keep that in mind, Samwise.
Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:44 pm  

Also keep in mind notes on population from WoG page 18:
“ Population: This accounts for humans only, the normal citizens who make up the bulk of a nation. Mercenaries, lawless groups, semi-independent and/or independent communities, and groups based in border and/or major geographical regions are excluded.”
“ Where populations are given for demi-human and humanoid groups, the figure reflects fighting males only, as more complete data is unavailable. Where actual figures are not given, the term "many" can indicate overall numbers (including females and offspring) up to 20% of the human population; "some" indicates numbers up to perhaps 10% of the human population; "few" generally means 5% or less, in terms of overall numbers.“
So arguably when it says “few” elves and it’s 5% of human citizen population then that is the fighting elves and the overall population is higher?
Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:58 pm  

ArtharnTheCleric wrote:
Also keep in mind notes on population from WoG page 18:
“ Population: This accounts for humans only, the normal citizens who make up the bulk of a nation. Mercenaries, lawless groups, semi-independent and/or independent communities, and groups based in border and/or major geographical regions are excluded.”

The problem is, there are very few base numbers for those.

Quote:
“ Where populations are given for demi-human and humanoid groups, the figure reflects fighting males only, as more complete data is unavailable. Where actual figures are not given, the term "many" can indicate overall numbers (including females and offspring) up to 20% of the human population; "some" indicates numbers up to perhaps 10% of the human population; "few" generally means 5% or less, in terms of overall numbers.“
So arguably when it says “few” elves and it’s 5% of human citizen population then that is the fighting elves and the overall population is higher?

No, when it says "few" it means that is the total including women and children.
When hard numbers are given, multiply as below for the specific type when found in their lair.

Dwarves 175%
"If encountered in their lair (home) there will be in addition , , , , and
females and young equal to 50% and 25% respectively of the number of adult
males."

Elves 205%
"If encountered in their lair there will also be . . . , and females and young equal to 100% and 5% respectively."

Gnomes 175%
"If encountered in their lair (home) there will be the following additional gnomes: . . ., and females and young equal to 50% and 25% respectively of the number of adult males."

Halflings 260%
"If encountered in their lair there will be females and children equal to 100% and 60% respectively of the adult males indicated."

Goblins 260%
Hobgoblins 450%
Kobolds 160% (and effectively another 75% eggs)
Orcs 250%
CF Admin

Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:34 pm  

This is super helpful, as it analyzes something I hadn't cognized about the change from the WoG and FtA to the LGG population figures.

For the Hold of the Sea Princes, the WoG (folio and boxed set) notes:

Quote:
Population: 100,000 +
Demi-humans: Few
Humanoids: Probable

The LGG notes:

Quote:
420,000—Human 79% (Sofz, 331,800), Halfling 8% (36,300), Elf 4% (16,800), Dwarf 3% (12,600), Gnome 2% (8,400), Half-elf 1% (4,200), Half-orc 1% (4,200), Other 2% (8,400)

N.B. The LGG just provides the percentages. I calculated the numbers.

In contrast, if we apply the "Few" (5%) figure from the WoG, but keep the 402,000 population figure from the LGG, the Hold should only include 20,100 demi-humans.

In turn, this much lower figure, accords with the WoG and FtA random encounter tables, which give a 3% chance to encounter demihumans (WoG) or 1% each for high elves, gnomes, and "halflings, various" (FtA).

Obviously (at this time in GH fandom), DMs should do whatever they prefer, but IMC, I've detailed a humanocentric Hold much more in keeping with the WoG than the substantially higher percentages of the LGG.

So far, the PCs have encountered one grey olve, one hill dwur, one half-elf, one half-orc, and two (or three?) halflings. (They've also encountered Brotherhood "hochebi" troops, and are about to encounter some norkers and a brace of ogres, but they're all part of the invasion force.)
   Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: