Greyhawk Wiki
Canonfire :: View topic - Visions of Greyhawk Vol. III
Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
Visions of Greyhawk Vol. III
Master Greytalker

Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:41 am  
Visions of Greyhawk Vol. III

Visions of Greyhawk Vol. III is here!

In this issue, we have exciting articles by new contributors such as Curtis Cable and Michael Mossbarger, who both decided to focus on the topic of Heironeous and his followers, each in their own unique ways. We explore the mystical monk traditions of the Baklunish in articles by Nijineko Prismaticpsion and Chris. Sam Weiss gives us an intriguing theory on the Old One, Iuz, himself (did you know he had evil halfling minions? Ewan Cummins tells us how). Matthew Hedges gives us a harrowing tour of the Iron Hills Dwarves and their kingdom. Osmund-Davizid takes a foray into some new sorcerous societies of the Flanaess, as I once did thirty years ago in the pages of the Oerth Journal #3.

It is always a pleasure to receive articles by industry veterans such as Roger Moore and Ed Greenwood. The latter, working alongside Jay Scott, shows his passion for D&D goes beyond the pages of his own home setting as he updates various factions in the Flanaess with adventure hooks. Mr. Moore, has given us a much awaited sequel to his original Gates in the World of Greyhawk from the late 1990s, which we have reprinted for your convenience. Both articles are an intriguing cogitation on the meaning and usefulness of connecting your Greyhawk to otherworlds. The collective love of the hobby and its legacy by these authors exudes from their work.

I am also introducing a few new columns. The first is Oerthography, which launches with the impressive feature article in this issue by Paul Looby. It is a focus on the Climate of the Flanaess and its implications for the setting. It is a comprehensive work that is a testimony to the kind of scholarship that Greyhawk fans such as Paul have given - and continue to give - the setting.

Finally, Best of Canonfire! is a new column, where we will highlight some of the best and most classic articles from the archives of the Canonfire! Website. We will re-edit and format the articles to shine in the pages of the zine and give this wonderful content a new look. First up is the article that helped make Mike Bridges the Master of Ull. Enjoy.

You can find it, along with the first two volumes, here:

https://canonfire.greyparticle.com/visionsofgreyhawk/
Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:03 am  
Re: Visions of Greyhawk Vol. III

Samwise wrote:
Visions of Greyhawk Vol. III is here!

Amazing work!

I've only skimmed through it so far, but the articles all look pretty useful! I'm looking forward to doing a deep read.
David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:37 am  

Any chance of print version of these?
Novice

Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:38 am  

If anyone has any comments or questions about my articles in Visions of Greyhawk, please post them! I am also looking for suggestions on future articles here. It is great to be here!
Sage of Canonfire

Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:28 am  

Welcome aboard, Roger!

Great to have you here. I've gotten a lot of good feedback about your article. If anyone wants to ask Roger questions about his writing, this is a great place to do it.

-Gary
Sage of Canonfire

Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:30 am  

I don't think we can sell a print version, but I can facilitate by making the files available for a printer version at one of the standard online printing houses.

I am preparing an order to lulu (full color and glossy) to see how it turns out. If it looks great, I can leave the files uploaded and allow other people to place an order for it.

-Gary
Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:16 am  

Gary, I'd love that. Thanks and let us know,
JC
Sage of Canonfire

Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:02 am  

Will do.
CF Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:33 pm  

rogeremoore wrote:
If anyone has any comments or questions about my articles in Visions of Greyhawk, please post them! I am also looking for suggestions on future articles here. It is great to be here!

Delighted that you've rejoined us and can't wait to read Part II of your new Visions of Greyhawk article!

I'd love to learn more of your thoughts / vision regarding the "Green Nightmare."

My current campaign (running in 5e almost weekly with old friends since shortly after the pandemic shut down in 2020) is based in the Hold of the Sea Princes in 583 CY and explores what happens when a small group of unlikely companions interfere with the Scarlet Brotherhood's mass assassination attempt. (I've posted the campaign's overview in another Canonfire! thread, A Hold of the Sea Princes Campaign.) Eventually, I hope the PCs will visit the coastal 'Hook of the Amedio Jungle, and thus plan to develop more about the various Amedian Suel, Olman, and mixed human tribes, as well as their various humanoid competitors.

In this endeavor, your 1996 Oerth Journal #4 article is one of the foundational texts to which I return whenever I revisit the subject.
Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:54 pm  
My Article in Visions of Greyhawk

First off,

Thank you so much for including my little article in this volume! I was not expecting that and am flattered to think that my little contributions can stand alongside some of the great writers of the hobby.

Second,

I, for one, can't get enough of the various ezines of Greyhawk out there. We have the Oerth Journal, The Grey Grimoire, and now Visions of Greyhawk currently in operation. I also scoop up each new issue of "Dragonne" over at Greyhawk Grognard. Hopefully, the folks putting these together are not spreading themselves out too thin! Are there any other periodicals I have missed that are currently providing new Greyhawk lore?

Again, thanks for the inclusion in this volume. Just for the record, my real name is David Smith. Just for the sake of making my authorship known.

O-D
CF Admin

Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:34 am  
Re: My Article in Visions of Greyhawk

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
I, for one, can't get enough of the various ezines of Greyhawk out there. We have the Oerth Journal, The Grey Grimoire, and now Visions of Greyhawk currently in operation. I also scoop up each new issue of "Dragonne" over at Greyhawk Grognard. Hopefully, the folks putting these together are not spreading themselves out too thin! Are there any other periodicals I have missed that are currently providing new Greyhawk lore?

I continue to share new Greyhawk material on my blog, as well as in my “From Kuroth’s Quill” column in _The Twisting Stair_, which is coming off of hiatus this summer. (And in now OOP zines like Knockspell and AFS).

And, for those who haven’t heard, Fight On! is back from a 10-year hiatus too (although it doesn’t usually have GH content).

Allan.

Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:50 pm  

David,

It was my pleasure to include your article and that of Chris. I was trying to reach you for your names/blurbs, but wasn't able to do it and the internal CF message system kind of sucks. I may have old contact info, but update me at psmedger@gmail.com with your current email address.

I will make another revision V3 with your name and handle together. I loved your article and you are a consistent contributor (not little contributions!) with lots of cool articles to read.

Outside of reviews, opinion, and fiction, most lore and crunch articles submitted for Canonfire will also go into the next Visions, with layout and art, as best I can. I need to do something for CruelSummerLord, who has been a stalwart with his Silver Wolf series. Maybe his own corner of the site with everything collected together.

Looking forward to your next article!!!

-Gary
Sage of Canonfire

Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:53 pm  

P.S.

The Grey Grimoire and I are working to not overlap too much in terms of staff and contributors, but it will still happen. But as much independence we can have and with the Oerth Journal, perhaps all three can prosper. I think there is enough room for it in fandom.

My goal is two full Visions a year, plus a special. The special will usually be a postfest, conducted some months ahead of time. So three issues a year? I have been building tools/skills to make it happen. I also have a lot of worthy help.

-Gary
Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:56 am  
Ideas for further articles

Quote:

Great follow up to a classic article!

As for ideas for future articles - I was always a fan of the series of articles about the demi-human points of view from the early days of Dragon Magazine. The exploration of the culture and psychology of the dwarves, elves, and other peoples became the baseline of how I roleplayed them in my campaigns. Maybe an updated/Greyhawk specific spin on these articles would be a good series to start up again?

Greyhawk is pretty "humanocentric", with not a lot of nonhuman kingdoms out there (Celene, parts of the Uleks, etc), but having some information on some overlooked ones would be a great article as well.

Thanks for posting and as always, your contributions are most appreciated.

O-D
   Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: